Re: [request for patch inclusion to 5.15 stable] cifs: fix mid leak during reconnection after timeout threshold

On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 11:43:26AM +0530, Shyam Prasad N wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> It recently came to my attention that this patch:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/patch/?id=69cba9d3c1284e0838ae408830a02c4a063104bc
> [Upstream commit 69cba9d3c1284e0838ae408830a02c4a063104bc]
> ... which is marked with Fixes tag for a change that went into 5.9
> kernel, was taken into 6.4 and 6.1 stable trees.
> However, I do not see this in the 5.15 stable tree.
>
> I got emails about this fix being taken to the 6.4 and 6.1 stable. But
> I do not see any communication about 5.15 kernel.
>
> Was this missed? Or is there something in the process that I missed?
> Based on the kernel documentation about commit tags, I assumed that
> for commits that have the "Fixes: " tag, it was not necessary to add
> the "CC: stable" as well.
> Please let me know if that understanding is wrong.

That understanding is wrong, and has never been the case.  Please see:
    https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/stable-kernel-rules.html
for how to do this properly.

We just have been sweeping the tree at times to pick up the patches
where people only put Fixes: tags.  And then we do a "best effort" type
of backporting.

Odds are this commit does not apply to any older kernels, and yes, I
just tried and it did not apply to 5.15 at all.  Please provide a
working backport.

> Regarding this particular fix, I discussed this with Steve, and he
> agrees that this fix needs to go into all stable kernels as well.

Great, please provide working backports and we will be glad to queue
them up.

And in the future, please properly mark your patches with cc: stable if
you want to see them applied, AND for you to get FAILED notices if they
do not apply as far back as you are asking them to be sent to.

thanks,

greg k-h