Re: stable-rc: 5.15: arm: fsl_dcu_drm_plane.c:176:20: error: 'drm_plane_helper_destroy' undeclared here

On Wed, 9 Aug 2023 at 12:29, Greg Kroah-Hartman
<gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 09, 2023 at 11:47:45AM +0530, Naresh Kamboju wrote:
> > While building Linux stable rc 5.15 arm with gcc-13 failed due to
> > following warnings / errors.
>
> I appreciate you attempting to build older LTS trees with newer
> compilers, but note that usually, as you are finding out, this doesn't
> work.

These reports make us aware that we have found new issues with
newer tool chains on older LTS trees  / branches.

> Right now I've finally gotten support for gcc-12 in all active stable
> kernel trees, gcc-13 takes more work as you are finding out so I'm only
> testing with newer trees (6.1 and newer).

We have seen great work (fixes) for gcc-12 when it got released.
I think I / We should not expect this with gcc-13 since it takes more work.

As I understand, stable-rc 6.1 testing with gcc-13 would be ok.
other than stable-rc 6.1 branches 5.x and 4.x should be built with gcc-12.

> So when you run into issues like this, that obviously work in newer
> kernel releases, a report doesn't do much, BUT a git commit id of what
> the commit that needs to be backported IS appreciated.

Thanks for explaining the details here.
If I come across any fixed patch / commit id then I will share that information.

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

thanks,
Naresh Kamboju