cannot mount device with write access with kernel versions >= 4.20.0

Dear kernel developers!

Something unintended must have happened in kernel version 4.20.0.

On my PC I have an Iomega REV 35 drive. Up to kernel version 4.19.125
that device can be mounted with write access for the root user.
(Unfortunately I could not find a way to have write access as a normal
user.)

The command I use for mounting:
-----
sudo mount -t udf -o
rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8 /dev/sr1
/media/rm_l1604/REV35
-----

The very same command gives the following message with kernel versions
>= 4.20.0.
-----
mount: /dev/sr1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
-----

As a result there is no chance go get write access to the device. At
least I could not find a way to get write access.

Is there any workaround for this problem? Please let me know!

Thank you and best regards,

Reinhold Mannsberger