Re: Patch "powerpc/powernv: Fix endian bug in LPC bus debugfs accessors" has been added to the 3.17-stable tree

On Tue, 2014-10-28 at 11:53 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-10-24 at 13:13 +0800, gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > This is a note to let you know that I've just added the patch titled
> >
> >     powerpc/powernv: Fix endian bug in LPC bus debugfs accessors
> >
> > to the 3.17-stable tree which can be found at:
> >     http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=summary
>
> Hi Greg !
>
> Please take it out, it's actually bogus :-(
>
> (And from 3.16 too and any other stable queue it might have landed in)
>
> Michael, can you send a revert to Linus please ?
>
> The original code was fine, I think the bug was actually in the
> userspace tool I was using (don't worry, nothing on the field uses that
> interface... yet and I can still fix the tool).

Actually the original code was fine ... for 32-bit accesses only :-) So
I *do* need to fix something but that specific fix was wrong, so yes,
please still revert it. I'll sort something out, get it properly tested
with all access sizes, and come back with a new patch later.

/me mumbles about firmware and OS having a different endian and f*d up
firmware interfaces designed by ... himself :(

Ben.