RE: [REGRESSION][BISECTED] Boot stall from merge tag 'net-next-6.2'

From: Linus Torvalds
> Sent: 24 June 2023 00:03
>
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2023 at 15:55, Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > With the revert applied, the kernel/EFI stub only consumes the
> > variable and deletes it, but never creates it by itself, and so the
> > code does nothing if the variable is never created in the first place.
>
> Right.
>
> But my *point* was that if we want to create it, we DAMN WELL DO NOT
> WANT TO DO SO AT BOOT TIME.
>
> Boot time is absolutely the worst possible time to do it.
>
> We'd be much better off doing so at shutdown time, when we at least
> have (a) maximal entropy and (b) failures are less critical.

Or maybe better - especially for embedded systems which don't
often get shut down properly (or any where someone can force
a system crash and then get no saved entropy) - after the system
has been running long enough to get a reasonable amount of
entropy.

Also, why delete the entropy during boot?
Clearly it is sub-optimal to use it twice, but that has to
be better that not using any at all?

	David

-
Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)