Re: 5.10 LTS - Request for inclusion of getsockopt(SO_NETNS_COOKIE)

On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 12:37:15PM -0700, Maciej Żenczykowski wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 12:22 PM Greg Kroah-Hartman
> <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This really is a new feature, why not just move to a new kernel version
> > instead if you really need this?
>
> Oh, come on, I *know* you know the answer to this question.
>
> How's your effort to get device vendors/oems to use newer (major)
> kernels on their devices going?

Actually really well, with the new EU regulations and the reduced amount
of support time for LTS kernels, new devices will soon be forced to
update to move to newer kernel versions during the lifetime of the
device.

> Cause I was just recently *forced* into supporting 4.9 for another
> couple years...
> It's hard enough to get people to take stable version updates in a
> reasonable timeframe.
>
> We either need to get this in via 5.10 LTS, or it goes in via Android
> Common Kernel...
> going in via LTS always seems preferable to me, since it benefits the
> wider community.

You are adding a new feature, we can't add that to stable kernels,
sorry.  Just stick this in your device-specific kernel please.

thanks,

greg k-h