Re: AUTOSEL process

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 03:39:14PM -0500, Sasha Levin wrote:
> > > So to summarize, that buggy commit was backported even though:
> > >
> > >   * There were no indications that it was a bug fix (and thus potentially
> > >     suitable for stable) in the first place.
> > >   * On the AUTOSEL thread, someone told you the commit is broken.
> > >   * There was already a thread that reported a regression caused by the commit.
> > >     Easily findable via lore search.
> > >   * There was also already a pending patch that Fixes the commit.  Again easily
> > >     findable via lore search.
> > >
> > > So it seems a *lot* of things went wrong, no?  Why?  If so many things can go
> > > wrong, it's not just a "mistake" but rather the process is the problem...
> >
> > BTW, another cause of this is that the commit (66f99628eb24) was AUTOSEL'd after
> > only being in mainline for 4 days, and *released* in all LTS kernels after only
> > being in mainline for 12 days.  Surely that's a timeline befitting a critical
> > security vulnerability, not some random neural-network-selected commit that
> > wasn't even fixing anything?
>
> I would love to have a mechanism that tells me with 100% confidence if a
> given commit fixes a bug or not, could you provide me with one?

Just because you can't be 100% certain whether a commit is a fix doesn't mean
you should be rushing to backport random commits that have no indications they
are fixing anything.

> w.r.t timelines, this is something that was discussed on the mailing
> list a few years ago where we decided that giving AUTOSEL commits 7 days
> of soaking time is sufficient, if anything changed we can have this
> discussion again.

Nothing has changed, but that doesn't mean that your process is actually
working.  7 days might be appropriate for something that looks like a security
fix, but not for a random commit with no indications it is fixing anything.

BTW, based on that example it's not even 7 days between AUTOSEL and patch
applied, but actually 7 days from AUTOSEL to *release*.  So e.g. if someone
takes just a 1 week vacation, in that time a commit they would have NAK'ed can
be AUTOSEL'ed and pushed out across all LTS kernels...

> Note, however, that it's not enough to keep pointing at a tiny set and
> using it to suggest that the entire process is broken. How many AUTOSEL
> commits introduced a regression? How many -stable tagged ones did? How
> many bugs did AUTOSEL commits fix?

So basically you don't accept feedback from individual people, as individual
people don't have enough data?

- Eric