Re: [Regression] ACPI: video: Change how we determine if brightness key-presses are handled

[CCing Hans, who authored 3a0cf7ab8d ("ACPI: video: Change how we

On 13.07.22 07:27, Ben Greening wrote:
> (resending because of HTML formatting)
> Hi, I'm on Arch Linux and upgraded from kernel 5.18.9.arch1-1 to
> 5.18.10.arch1-1. The brightness keys don't work as well as before.
> Gnome had 20 degrees of brightness, now it's 10, and Xfce went from 10
> to 5. Additionally, on Gnome the brightness keys are a little slow to
> respond and there's a bit of a stutter. Don't know why Xfce doesn't
> stutter, but halving the degrees of brightness for both makes me
> wonder if each press is being counted twice.
>
> Reverting commit 3a0cf7ab8d in acpi_video.c and rebuilding
> 5.18.10.arch1-1 fixed it.

BTW, in case someone gets slightly confused like I was here:
3a0cf7ab8d is a mainline commit that was backported to 5.18.y as
1ed81b354d8c recently.

> The laptop is a Dell Inspiron n4010 and I use "acpi_backlight=video"
> to make the brightness keys work. Please let me know if there's any
> hardware info you need.
>
> #regzbot introduced: 3a0cf7ab8d

BTW, thx for the report!

Ciao, Thorsten