Re: net/sched: act_police: more accurate MTU policing

hello Greg,

thanks for looking at this!

On Fri, Jun 10, 2022 at 05:09:21PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2022 at 04:58:37PM +0200, Davide Caratti wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > Ilya reports bad TCP throughput when GSO packets hit an OVS rule that does
> > tc MTU policing. According to his observations [1], the problem is fixed
> > by upstream commit 4ddc844eb81d ("net/sched: act_police: more accurate MTU
> > policing"). Can we queue this commit for inclusion in stable trees?
>
> Did you test this,

I tested it on upstream, RHEL8 and RHEL9 kernels. BTW, the kselftest I included
in the commit only verifies the correct setting for the MTU threshold, not
the GSO problem (to test GSO, we should use netperf / iperf3 rather than
mausezahn to generate traffic).

> and what kernel(s) do you want it applied to?

the reported bug is in act_police since the very beginning; however, the
patch should apply cleanly at least on 5.x kernels. On older ones, there
might be a small conflict due to lack of RCU-ification of struct
tcf_police_params.
A conflict that gets fixed easily, but in case we need it I volunteer to
write a patch for kernels older than 4.20. @Ilya, what is the
minimum kernel usable for openvswitch with MTU policing?

--
davide