Re: Stable release process proposal (Was: Linux 5.10.109)

On 30/03/22 06.49, Alexey Khoroshilov wrote:
The problem will be fixed in 5.10.110, but we still have a couple oddities:
- we have a release that should not be recommended for use
- we have a commit message misleading users when says:

     Tested-by: Pavel Machek (CIP) <pavel@xxxxxxx>
     Tested-by: Fox Chen <foxhlchen@xxxxxxxxx>
     Tested-by: Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@xxxxxxxxx>
     Tested-by: Shuah Khan <skhan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     Tested-by: Bagas Sanjaya <bagasdotme@xxxxxxxxx>
     Tested-by: Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil@xxxxxxxxxx>
     Tested-by: Linux Kernel Functional Testing <lkft@xxxxxxxxxx>
     Tested-by: Sudip Mukherjee <sudip.mukherjee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     Tested-by: Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

but actually nobody tested that version.

I think you missed the point of having Tested-by in stable releases here.
The tag is used to indicate that the entity (individuals, organizations,
or bots) had successfully tested the release candidate (stable-rc). The
degree of testing can vary. For example, I only did cross-compile test [1],
then I offered Tested-by in my name.

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/stable/2b3af5d1-8233-45a6-7a44-a19f7010cd6b@xxxxxxxxx/

On the other hand, Naresh Kamboju (LKFT) did full testing as indicated on
[2].

[2]: https://lore.kernel.org/stable/CA+G9fYu9CjYCQwM3EO5eguRC0rq00HMuE7cEAG4E68shzw4OHA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

Regardless of how testing is done by entities involved, the point of having
Tested-by is to give kernel users confidence to upgrade to more recent
release, as almost all sufferings of testing is represented by Tested-by
entities.

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara