Re: Patch "iommu/amd: Use put_pages_list" has been added to the 5.16-stable tree

On 2022-03-06 22:47, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
On Sat, Mar 05, 2022 at 03:56:38PM -0500, Sasha Levin wrote:
This is a note to let you know that I've just added the patch titled

     iommu/amd: Use put_pages_list

to the 5.16-stable tree which can be found at:
     http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=summary

The filename of the patch is:
      iommu-amd-use-put_pages_list.patch
and it can be found in the queue-5.16 subdirectory.

If you, or anyone else, feels it should not be added to the stable tree,
please let <stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> know about it.

I would defer to Robin, but I don't think this is a good candidate for
a stable backport.  It has some dependencies, IIRC.  And it's not really
fixing a bug.

Indeed, I'd feel a bit uncomfortable about backporting this unnecessarily. It doesn't make much sense in isolation without the other patch(es) converting the rest of the IOMMU subsystem as well, but either way unless the whole SLAB rework needs backporting for some reason then it just represents risk without benefit.

Thanks,
Robin.