Re: [REGRESSION]: drivers/firmware: move x86 Generic System Framebuffers support

Hello Ilya,

On 11/11/21 01:45, Ilya Trukhanov wrote:

[snip]

>> Can you please share the kernel boot log for any of these cases too ?

Thanks a lot for the testing and providing the info!

>> This is just a guess though. Would be good if you could test following cases:
>>
>> 1) CONFIG_FB_EFI not set
>
> /proc/fb:
> 0 amdgpu
>
> dmesg: https://pastebin.com/c1BcWLEh
>
> Suspend-to-RAM works.
>
>> 2) CONFIG_FB_EFI=y and CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU=m
>
> /proc/fb before `modprobe amdgpu`:
> 0 EFI VGA
>
> after:
> 0 amdgpu
>
> dmesg: https://pastebin.com/vSsTw2Km
>
> Suspend-to-RAM works.
>
>> 3) CONFIG_SYSFB_SIMPLEFB=y and CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE=y
>
> /proc/fb:
> 0 amdgpu
> 1 simple
>
> dmesg: https://pastebin.com/ZSXnpLqQ
>
> Suspend-to-RAM fails.
>

>> And for each check /proc/fb, the kernel boot log, and if Suspend-to-RAM works.
>>
>> If the explanation above is correct, then I would expect (1) and (2) to work and
>> (3) to also fail.

Your testing confirms my assumptions. I'll check how this could be solved to
prevent the efifb driver to be probed if there's already a framebuffer device.

Best regards,
--
Javier Martinez Canillas
Linux Engineering