Re: Regressions in stable releases

On Thu, Aug 05, 2021 at 06:19:15PM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 05, 2021 at 09:11:02AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > we have (at least) two severe regressions in stable releases right now.
> >
> > [SHAs are from linux-5.10.y]
> >
> > 2435dcfd16ac spi: mediatek: fix fifo rx mode
> > 	Breaks SPI access on all Mediatek devices for small transactions
> > 	(including all Mediatek based Chromebooks since they use small SPI
> > 	 transactions for EC communication)
> >
> > 60789afc02f5 Bluetooth: Shutdown controller after workqueues are flushed or cancelled
> > 	Breaks Bluetooth on various devices (Mediatek and possibly others)
> > 	Discussion: https://lkml.org/lkml/2021/7/28/569
>
> Are either of these being tracked on the regressions list?  I have not
> noticed them being reported there, or on the stable list :(

I wasn't aware of regressions@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Clueless me. And this is the
report on the stable list, or at least that was the idea. Should I send separate
emails to regressions@ with details ?

> > Unfortunately, it appears that all our testing doesn't cover SPI and Bluetooth.
> >
> > I understand that upstream is just as broken until fixes are applied there.
> > Still, it shows that our test coverage is far from where it needs to be,
> > and/or that we may be too aggressive with backporting patches to stable
> > releases.
> >
> > If you have an idea how to improve the situation, please let me know.
>
> We need to get tests running in kernelci on real hardware, that's going
> to be much more helpful here.

Yes, I know. Of course it didn't help that our internal testing didn't catch
the problem until after the fact either.

Guenter