Re: [regression] UDP recv data corruption

Quoting Willem de Bruijn <willemdebruijn.kernel@xxxxxxxxx>:

That library does not enable UDP_GRO. You do not have any UDP based
tunnel devices (besides vxlan) configured, either, right?

The configuration is really minimal by now, I also took the bonding
out of the equation. We have systemd configure "en*" with mDNS and DHCP
enabled and that's it. The problem remains.

I also found new hardware on my desk today (some Intel SoC), showing
exactly the same symptoms. So it's really nothing to do with the
hardware.

It is also unlikely that the device has either of NETIF_F_GRO_FRAGLIST
or NETIF_F_GRO_UDP_FWD configured. This can be checked with `ethtool
-K $DEV`, shown as "rx-gro-list" and "rx-udp-gro-forwarding",
respectively.

The full output of "ethtool -k enp5s0" from that SoC:

Features for enp5s0:
rx-checksumming: on
tx-checksumming: on
        tx-checksum-ipv4: off [fixed]
        tx-checksum-ip-generic: on
        tx-checksum-ipv6: off [fixed]
        tx-checksum-fcoe-crc: off [fixed]
        tx-checksum-sctp: on
scatter-gather: on
        tx-scatter-gather: on
        tx-scatter-gather-fraglist: off [fixed]
tcp-segmentation-offload: on
        tx-tcp-segmentation: on
        tx-tcp-ecn-segmentation: off [fixed]
        tx-tcp-mangleid-segmentation: off
        tx-tcp6-segmentation: on
generic-segmentation-offload: on
generic-receive-offload: on
large-receive-offload: off [fixed]
rx-vlan-offload: on
tx-vlan-offload: on
ntuple-filters: off
receive-hashing: on
highdma: on [fixed]
rx-vlan-filter: on [fixed]
vlan-challenged: off [fixed]
tx-lockless: off [fixed]
netns-local: off [fixed]
tx-gso-robust: off [fixed]
tx-fcoe-segmentation: off [fixed]
tx-gre-segmentation: on
tx-gre-csum-segmentation: on
tx-ipxip4-segmentation: on
tx-ipxip6-segmentation: on
tx-udp_tnl-segmentation: on
tx-udp_tnl-csum-segmentation: on
tx-gso-partial: on
tx-tunnel-remcsum-segmentation: off [fixed]
tx-sctp-segmentation: off [fixed]
tx-esp-segmentation: off [fixed]
tx-udp-segmentation: on
tx-gso-list: off [fixed]
fcoe-mtu: off [fixed]
tx-nocache-copy: off
loopback: off [fixed]
rx-fcs: off [fixed]
rx-all: off
tx-vlan-stag-hw-insert: off [fixed]
rx-vlan-stag-hw-parse: off [fixed]
rx-vlan-stag-filter: off [fixed]
l2-fwd-offload: off [fixed]
hw-tc-offload: on
esp-hw-offload: off [fixed]
esp-tx-csum-hw-offload: off [fixed]
rx-udp_tunnel-port-offload: off [fixed]
tls-hw-tx-offload: off [fixed]
tls-hw-rx-offload: off [fixed]
rx-gro-hw: off [fixed]
tls-hw-record: off [fixed]
rx-gro-list: off
macsec-hw-offload: off [fixed]
rx-udp-gro-forwarding: off
hsr-tag-ins-offload: off [fixed]
hsr-tag-rm-offload: off [fixed]
hsr-fwd-offload: off [fixed]
hsr-dup-offload: off [fixed]

That's the only NIC on this board:

# ip l
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp5s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:30:d6:24:99:67 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

One possible short-term workaround is to disable GRO.

Indeed, "ethtool -K enp5s0 gro off" fixes the problem, and calling it with
"gro on" brings it back.

And to answer Paolo's questions from his mail to the list (@Paolo: I'm not subscribed,
please also send to me directly so I don't miss your mail)

Could you please:
- tell how frequent is the pkt corruption, even a rough estimate of the
frequency.

# journalctl --since "5min ago" | grep "Packet corrupt" | wc -l
167

So there are 167 detected failures in 5 minutes, while the system is receiving
at a moderate rate of about 900 pkts/s (according to Prometheus' node exporter
at least, but seems about right)

Next I'll try to capture some broken packets and reply in a separate mail,
I'll have to figure out a good way to do this first.

Thanks for your help,
-Matthias