Re: 5.4.y missing upstream commits 7beb691f and 51f644b4, causing: WARNING in vkms_vblank_simulate

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 02:33:22PM -0400, George Kennedy wrote:
> Hello Greg,
>
> During Syzkaller reproducer testing on 5.4.y ( 5.4.121-rc1) the following
> warning occurred:
>
> WARNING in vkms_vblank_simulate
> https://syzkaller.appspot.com//bug?id=0ba17d70d062b2595e1f061231474800f076c7cb
>
> First, upstream commit 7beb691f was cherry-pick'd to 5.4.y as upstream
> commit 51f644b4 is dependent on it.
> drm: Initialize struct drm_crtc_state.no_vblank from device settings
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=7beb691f1e6f349c9df3384a85e7a53c5601aaaf
>

> Second, upstream commit 51f644b4 was cherry-pick'd to 5.4.y, the conflicts
> were resolved, and the warning no longer occurs (rebooted 10 times with the
> fix commits - no "WARNING in vkms_vblank_simulate" messages).
> drm/atomic-helper: reset vblank on crtc reset
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=51f644b40b4b794b28b982fdd5d0dd8ee63f9272
>

> Cherry-pick'd upstream commit 51f644b4 with conflicts resolved (showing the
> cherry-pick'd commit ID):

I don't understand.

If you want me to take a backported version of an upstream commit,
properly send it to us in a format we can apply it in (your patch was
whitespace damaged.)

Look at the archives of the stable mailing list for loads of examples of
how people do this.

Also, always include the developers of the patches you wish to have
backported and the maintainers, on the cc: so that they can speak up if
they want to.  For drm stuff like this, I will require them to give
their ACK before applying them.

thanks,

greg k-h