Re: need to back port ("scsi: ufs: Unlock on a couple error paths")

Hi Dan!

> I don't know git well enough to say what went wrong.  I don't think
> the SCSI tree rebases?

I try very hard to avoid it but it happens. Bart's patch went into 5.6
and I still have the old SHA you referenced in my repo:

    $ git branch --contains a276c19e3e98
    5.6/scsi-queue-old

Given the '-old' suffix I assume I had to rebase for some reason.

These days I have a separate, ephemeral staging branch that I use to let
patches simmer and the static checkers to do their thing. Once I get a
sufficient amount of success emails from the various bots I shuffle
things over to the proper scsi-queue branch. At that point the SHA
should be stable.

I try to be very careful about updating any commit references when I
move things out of staging. My git hook script verifies that any SHAs
referenced in patch descriptions are ancestors of both Linus' tree and
the branch I'm currently on. If a referenced SHA is not an ancestor of
any of those trees, the commit fails. I do something like this:

    $ git merge-base --is-ancestor a276c19e3e98 linus/master ; echo $?
    1 # Not in Linus' tree

    $ git merge-base --is-ancestor 7252a3603015 linus/master ; echo $?
    0 # In Linus' tree

A quick git blame on my git hook reveals that I implemented the SHA
ancestry validation in 2019 shortly after the Bart's commit was
merged. Not sure if I added the check due to that discrepancy. Certainly
possible.