Re: v4.19.132: r8169: possible bug during load

On Tue, 2020-08-25 at 13:06 +0200, Heiner Kallweit wrote:
> I don't see how the improvement to the r8169 driver and the issues deep
> in the network stack should be related. Was the referenced r8169 commit
> result of a bisect?

Nope, just a best guess.

It takes some hours to hit the issue and most of the time there is no
trace, just a frozen OS.

> The Debian kernel may include additional Distro-specific patches.
> I'd recommend re-testing with mainline kernels.
>
> Also 4.19 has been out for quite some time and boards with r8169-driven
> chips are very common (basically every consumer mainboard). In case of a
> general driver issue I'd expect to have received more such reports.
> Do you use any special network features on your system?

mhm, ... maybe a bit unusual load: a lot of tftp, NFS and KVM.

That's the first time I'm using a distro kernel. I guess I'll just dial
back and stick to backing mainline again.

Thanks
  -- Christoph