Re: Patches potentially missing from stable releases

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 02:46:55PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 03:24:47PM +0300, Henri Rosten wrote:
> > We did some work on analyzing patches potentially missing from stable
> > releases based on the Fixes: and Revert references in the commit
> > messages. Our script is based on similar idea as described by Guenter
> > Roeck in this earlier mail:
> > https://lore.kernel.org/stable/20190827171621.GA30360@xxxxxxxxxxxx/.
> >
> > Although the list is not comprehensive, we figured it makes sense to
> > publish it in case the results are of interest to someone else also.
> >
> > The below list of potentially missing commits is based on 4.19, but some
> > of the commits might also apply to 5.4 and 5.6.
> >
> > For each potentially missing commit flagged by the script, we read the
> > commit message and had a short look at the change. We then added
> > comments on our own judgement if it might be stable material or not. No
> > comments simply means the potentially missing patch appears stable
> > material. "Based on commit" is the mainline patch that has been
> > backported to 4.19 and is referenced by the missing commit. We did not
> > check if the patch applies without changes, nor did we build or execute
> > any tests.
>
> That last sentence should have been a huge red flag when writing it and
> sending out this email...

Thank you for your comments.

This list was a byproduct of other analysis we did, I did not intent to
ask these patches for inclusion into stable. We simply wanted to report
this list in case it includes some patches that might have dropped off
your radar. We are aware that such information without further work,
e.g. backporting and testing does not add much yet.

Thanks,
-- Henri