Re: Patch "ppp: mppe: Revert "ppp: mppe: Add softdep to arc4"" has been added to the 4.4-stable tree

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 10:11:05AM -0700, Eric Biggers wrote:
On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 09:52:54AM -0400, Sasha Levin wrote:
This is a note to let you know that I've just added the patch titled

    ppp: mppe: Revert "ppp: mppe: Add softdep to arc4"

to the 4.4-stable tree which can be found at:
    http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=summary

The filename of the patch is:
     ppp-mppe-revert-ppp-mppe-add-softdep-to-arc4.patch
and it can be found in the queue-4.4 subdirectory.

I already explained last time that this shouldn't be backported:
https://lore.kernel.org/stable/20190905161642.GA5659@xxxxxxxxxx/

The commit message explains it too.

Is there something I could have done last time around to properly prevent this
from being backported, or do I have to continue to be ready to respond to these
emails which can come at arbitrary times forever?

Appologies, I had to revert back to (older) backups for some of my data
and sadly forgot it can cause this type of issues. I'll drop the patch.

If you, or anyone else, feels it should not be added to the stable tree,
please let <stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> know about it.

Hard for "anyone else" to object to it when you didn't Cc any real mailing lists
(stable-commits doesn't count) and just sent this to me.  Lucky I saw this.

This is just the "added to the queue" mail, you would see another mail
when this release goes to -rc1. No reason for too much spam...

--
Thanks,
Sasha