Re: [patch 2/5] drivers/base/memory.c: indicate all memory blocks as removable

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 08:03:52PM +0200, David Hildenbrand wrote:
> > Please, David H - whatever you do with email is WRONG.
> >
> > Fix your completely broken email client. Stop doing this.

To butt in uninvited into this conversation, it doesn't look like
there's anything really wrong with what David sends, except for the
quoted-printable formatting, which is probably converted automatically
by one of Red Hat's relay MTAs.

> Sender: owner-linux-mm@xxxxxxxxx
> [...]
>
> And a lot of this MIME crap.
>
> I have no idea if such a conversion is expected to be done.

In theory, it doesn't really matter, as mail clients are supposed to be
properly undoing all this 7-bit legacy madness. When we run that thread
through "b4 am" to get things back into 8bit, everything looks just
fine. You can try it yourself:

b4 am 20200128093542.6908-1-david@xxxxxxxxxx

> Unless I am missing something important, the issue is not in mail client
> setup, but there is something in the mailing infrastructure horribly
> messing with my mails. Red Hat has recently switched to Mimecast and
> there have been plenty of issues, maybe this is one of these.
>
> I guess the only thing I can do is sending mails via a different mail
> server / different email address?

It would appear that the workflow Andrew uses to queue up patches from
you isn't expecting quoted-printable formatting, which is why when Linus
gets them, they are mangled.

We would either need to switch Andrew to a set of tools that handle 7bit
legacy formats better, or figure out how you can send things via MTAs
that won't convert from 8bit to quoted-printable. Maybe you can convince
Red Hat to set up their relays to always preserve 8bit?

-K