Re: patch "Revert "tty: Set correct tty name in 'active' sysfs attribute"" added to tty tree

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 09:41:10AM -0500, Ray Strode wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 3:38 AM, Dr. Werner Fink <werner@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > IMHO this is a bug in plymouth as systemd does it correct in
> Hey thanks for looking into this!
>
> It's sort of debatable whether or not it's a bug in plymouth, but I
> think we can all agree it's not that useful of a debate to spend a lot
> of time on.  I'll just say one idea most of us can probably agree with
> is: "When in doubt turn off the splash" which is what happened here.
> It didn't see something it expected to see and so it turned off the
> splash.

Indeed the users seems to be depend on the splash ;)

> > only checks for [...] tty0 but ignores the real active virtual console e.g. tty1.
> Right, that's crux of the issue. The file used to just have tty0 and
> now resolves to the
> foreground console. (see the other thread for more specifics).
>
> > I've attached a simple patch to enhance plymouth's in the
> > same manner as systemd does it.
>
> Thanks for that.  I actually already came up with a change that gets
> things working in a slightly different way for rawhide.  I haven't
> decided if i want to push it upstream yet or not.
>
> Even, though, if we fix the code going forward, new kernels should
> continue to work with old plymouths, right?  What I'm saying is, no
> matter where the "best" place to fix the problem in the stack is, we
> have to fix the issue in the kernel, because the kernel supports being
> swapped into older stacks without them being updated.

With a step further such a patch would allow to have both a splash
screen on the virtual consoles and boot messages on all other consoles.
It is not that unusal to use a serial console out there, is it :)

Beside this IMHO plymouth may add O_NOCTTY to all open() of the
devices combinded with setsid() after its fork() to become a daemon :)

The question rises if upstream of plymouth will read this?

Werner