Re: Clock related crashes in v5.4.y-queue

On Thu, Jan 02, 2020 at 10:01:19PM +0100, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 01, 2020 at 06:44:08PM -0800, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I see a number of crashes in the latest v5.4.y-queue; please see below
> > for details. The problem bisects to commit 54a311c5d3988d ("clk: Fix memory
> > leak in clk_unregister()").
> >
> > The context suggests recovery from a failed driver probe, and it appears
> > that the memory is released twice. Interestingly, I don't see the problem
> > in mainline.
> >
> > I would suggest to drop that patch from the stable queue.
>
> That does not look right, as you point out, so I will go drop it now.
>
> The logic of the clk structure lifetimes seems crazy, messing with krefs
> and just "knowing" the lifecycle of the other structures seems like a
> problem just waiting to happen...

I agree. While the patch itself seems to be ok per Stephen's feedback,
we have to assume that there will be more secondary failures in addition
to the one I have discovered. Given that clocks are not normally
unregistered, I don't think fixing the memory leak is important enough
to risk the stability of stable releases.

With all that in mind, I'd rather have this in mainline for a prolonged
period of time before considering it for stable release (if at all).

Thanks,
Guenter