Re: [obsolete] memcg-do-not-hang-on-oom-when-killed-by-userspace-oom-access-to-memory-reserves.patch removed from -mm tree

On Mon 03-02-14 12:27:17, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Feb 2014 15:15:30 +0100 Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Fri 31-01-14 12:36:20, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > Subject: [obsolete] memcg-do-not-hang-on-oom-when-killed-by-userspace-oom-access-to-memory-reserves.patch removed from -mm tree
> > > To: mhocko@xxxxxxx,ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx,hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx,kamezawa.hiroyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx,stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,mm-commits@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > From: akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 12:36:20 -0800
> > >

> > > The patch titled
> > >      Subject: memcg: do not hang on OOM when killed by userspace OOM access to memory reserves
> > > has been removed from the -mm tree.  Its filename was
> > >      memcg-do-not-hang-on-oom-when-killed-by-userspace-oom-access-to-memory-reserves.patch
> > >
> > > This patch was dropped because it is obsolete
> >
> > What has made the patch obsolete? I do not see any alternative merged in
> > the Linus' tree.
>
> hm, sorry, I thought I'd sent an email about this.
>
> The patch hasn't been confirmed to fix the issue Eric reported, and it
> doesn't appear that this testing avenue will be happening.  And the
> discussion between yourself and David is nowhere near completed.
>
> So I don't see the patch as being mergeable at this stage.  The issues
> should be revisited and having a particular patch floating around in
> -mm in permastuck state will if anything prevent this from happening.

OK, I will get back to it later after other parts of the oom discussions
settle down. The only reporter was Eric so far which means that the rush
is not really needed. I was just surprised that it was marked obsolete
because that would imply that it is no longer needed.

> If you think this particular patch is the correct way to go then please
> resend it from scratch and let's fire things up again.

I will not push it right now and wait for LSF where we are going to
discuss OOM related topics and hopefully come to a conclusion.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs