Re: 4e78921ba4dd ("efi/x86/Add missing error handling to old_memmap 1:1 mapping code")

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 at 00:38, Zubin Mithra <zsm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> CVE-2019-12380 was fixed in the upstream linux kernel with the commit :-
> * 4e78921ba4dd ("efi/x86/Add missing error handling to old_memmap 1:1 mapping code")
>
> Could the patch be applied in order to v4.19.y?
>
> Tests run:
> * Chrome OS tryjob

Unless I am missing something, it seems to me that there is some
inflation going on when it comes to CVE number assignments.

The code in question only affects systems that are explicitly booted
with efi=old_map, and the memory allocation occurs so early during the
boot sequence that even if we fail and handle it gracefully, it is
highly unlikely that we can get to a point where the system is usable
at all.

Does Chrome OS boot in EFI mode? Does it use efi=old_map? Is the
kernel built with 5 level paging enabled? Did you run it on 5 level
paging hardware?

Or is this just a tick the box exercise?

Also, I am annoyed (does it show? :-))  that nobody mentioned the CVE
at any point when the patch was under review (not even privately)