Re: + mm-page_allocc-revert-numa-aspect-of-fair-allocation-policy.patch added to -mm tree

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 03:41:53PM -0800, akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Subject: + mm-page_allocc-revert-numa-aspect-of-fair-allocation-policy.patch added to -mm tree
> To: hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx,dave.hansen@xxxxxxxxx,mgorman@xxxxxxx,mhocko@xxxxxxx,riel@xxxxxxxxxx,stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From: akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 15:41:53 -0800
>

> The patch titled
>      Subject: mm/page_alloc.c: revert NUMA aspect of fair allocation policy
> has been added to the -mm tree.  Its filename is
>      mm-page_allocc-revert-numa-aspect-of-fair-allocation-policy.patch
>
> This patch should soon appear at
>     http://ozlabs.org/~akpm/mmots/broken-out/mm-page_allocc-revert-numa-aspect-of-fair-allocation-policy.patch
> and later at
>     http://ozlabs.org/~akpm/mmotm/broken-out/mm-page_allocc-revert-numa-aspect-of-fair-allocation-policy.patch
>
> Before you just go and hit "reply", please:
>    a) Consider who else should be cc'ed
>    b) Prefer to cc a suitable mailing list as well
>    c) Ideally: find the original patch on the mailing list and do a
>       reply-to-all to that, adding suitable additional cc's
>
> *** Remember to use Documentation/SubmitChecklist when testing your code ***
>
> The -mm tree is included into linux-next and is updated
> there every 3-4 working days

> From: Johannes Weiner <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: mm/page_alloc.c: revert NUMA aspect of fair allocation policy

Hi Andrew,

I not think this patch reflects Johannes' intent.  He asked Linus not to
merge "mm: page_alloc: exclude unreclaimable allocations from zone fairness
policy" but it was too late and this patch is now on top of it.

The final thing should have looked like a revert of 73f038b8 ("mm:
page_alloc: exclude unreclaimable allocations from zone fairness policy")
followed by this renewed version on top.

It was Michal Hocko that spotted this. I'm sending this mail so I don't
forget about it. If I get the chance before the end of the day I'll send
two revised patches unless Johannes beats me to it.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs