Re: Backport of commit a75bb4eb9e565b9f5115e2e8c07377ce32cbe69a

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 12:35 PM Sasha Levin <sashal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 12:04:21PM -0700, Nathan Chancellor wrote:
> >Hi Greg and Sasha,
> >
> >Please apply this commit to 4.4 through 5.0 (patches are threaded in
> >to compiler runtime functions and doing some performance-killing
> >optimization when using CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE.
> >
> >Please let me know if I did something wrong or if there are any
> >objections.
>
> This looks like a fix for a performance regression, which don't usually
> end up in stable unless they are severe enough.
>
> This patch looks simple enough, and seeing peterz on it suggests to me
> that this was significant enough for someone to notice. Is this really
> the case, or is this just one of those %0.01 performance regression
> things?

I don't recall specific measurements, but when I tried Peter's
suggestion and measured it, I wondered to myself how the initial patch
was ever correct.  The revert (what Nathan sent) should really be
applied for folks building w/ Clang+CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y,
which is what some CrOS devices (and some Qualcomm BSPs) are doing.
Rather than cherry pick this patch around to a bunch of different
trees, it would be much better for this to land in -stable and for
those trees not to diverge over this.

Nathan, thank you for sending.
--
Thanks,