Re: [RFC/RFT PATCH 04/18] crypto: skcipher - restore default skcipher_walk::iv on error

Eric Biggers <ebiggers@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: Eric Biggers <ebiggers@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> When the user-provided IV buffer is not aligned to the algorithm's
> alignmask, skcipher_walk_virt() allocates an aligned buffer and copies
> the IV into it.  However, skcipher_walk_virt() can fail after that
> point, and in this case the buffer will be freed.
>
> This causes a use-after-free read in callers that read from walk->iv
> unconditionally, e.g. the LRW template.  For example, this can be
> reproduced by trying to encrypt fewer than 16 bytes using "lrw(aes)".

This looks like a bug in LRW.  Relying on walk->iv to be set to
anything after a failed skcipher_walk_virt call is wrong.  So we
should fix it there instead.

Cheers,
--
Email: Herbert Xu <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>