Re: Elegible stable v4.9.x commits used by OpenWrt

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 11:43 PM Hauke Mehrtens <hauke@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2/12/19 4:39 PM, Linus Walleij wrote:

> > 092-netfilter-nf_tables-fix-mismatch-in-big-endian-syste.patch
> > Upstream commit 10596608c4d62cb8c1c2b806debcbd32fe657e71
> > "netfilter: nf_tables: fix mismatch in big-endian system"
> > Merged in v4.11
>
> I tried to get this into 4.9 stable but failed to get the process right,
> it looks it is somehow special for network patches. Just cherry-picking
> the upstream patch will not work because it does not apply cleanly on
> kernel 4.9 any more, but you can take the patch for OpenWrt.

HM Okay...

> > UAPI bug on if_ether.h
> > definately looks like stable material:
> >
> > 272-uapi-if_ether.h-prevent-redefinition-of-struct-ethhd.patch
> > Upstream commit 6926e041a8920c8ec27e4e155efa760aa01551fd
> > "uapi/if_ether.h: prevent redefinition of struct ethhdr"
> > Merged in v4.15
>
> As of now this is only needed for musl libc, but would be nice to have
> it in stable.

Yeah, my whole puzzlement here is that stable is for all stuff that
distributions need to have to work without regressions with the
current hardware support and software stack, if we include a patch
into a distribution that is backported from a later kernel and it's
not about specific hardware enablement or say new frameworks,
it is pretty much by definition stable material, so that is why I am
taking this sweep.

BTW OpenWrt is among the best in class using stable, the whole
operation is just a bit of polishing the already shiny surface.

Yours,
Linus Walleij