Re: stable? - sched, idle: Fix the idle polling state logic

On Tue, 2013-11-19 at 12:01 +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> What idle function does the core2 use? Something like:
>
>   perf record -a sleep 1; perf report
>
> Should show you the idle function on top if ran on a mostly idle system.
> I would be expecting mwait_idle_with_hints() for core2. And I think I've
> covered all paths to it with the right magic, but how knows, these acpi
> people never reacted to any of these patches.

My Toshiba Satellite lappy does use mwait_idle_with_hints, which works
fine unless you boot box with processor.max_cstate=1, which scares hell
outta mwait_idle_with_hints, and default_idle is then used.  I started
tracing it out, and there's a hard coded check (don't recall var name)
for cstate 2 being available for some odd reason.  The old mwait_idle
didn't care, worked fine on Q6600 box for years on end, no idea why the
acpi folks made mwait_idle_with_hints get all upset and bail.

While tracing out my Q6600 box, it didn't even get to the early probing
I had trace_printk laced leading to mwait_idle_with_hints use/fail, then
rainy day went away, and I haven't gotten back to it, so default_idle is
now all there is for (crusty ole beloved) desktop box.

-Mike