Re: Patches for -stable to improve support for recent gcc versions

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 11:52:14AM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 11:44 AM, Greg Kroah-Hartman
> <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> No, sorry. I've just tried it again and couldn't find any problems with my
> >> gcc-8.1 binaries building either sparc32_defconfig or sparc64_defconfig.
> >
> > So you mean it works, or does not work?
> >
> > And you are seeing loads of build warnings, right?  I tried your 8.1
> > binary for s390 and had to just give up looking at the warnings :(
>
> It does work, but yes, there are many warnings. I still need to revisit
> my patch for the system call entry points: I posted one a long time
> ago, but then the mainline implementation changed and I never got
> around to sending an updated version. Similarly, I planned to send
> a patch that disables all the -Wstringop-truncated warnings unless
> 'make W=1' is used, but that ended up in my long backlog of minor
> fixes after my initial plan to fix address those warnings didn't work out.

Given the recent mess that just happened yesterday when 0-day tried to
use gcc-8 and started emailing tons of innocent developers, it might be
good to dust those off soon :)

If you have a pointer to them, and are busy with other stuff, I can look
at getting them merged.

thanks,

greg k-h