Re: ACPICA: acpi: acpica: fix acpi operand cache leak in nseval.c

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 06:45:42PM +0000, Schmauss, Erik wrote:

> [...]

Please do, you can submit a request for it to be rejected on the main
CVE site somewhere.  I've done it once in the past.

> > Because of this, why would you need/want this in the stable kernel releases?  It
> > doesn't fix any real bug, only a theoretical one, right?
>
> The AML would need to be carefully crafted. So yes, this could happen in theory.
>

> > ACPI developers, do you think this should be backported?
>
> One reason to backport this patch is that it performs memory reclamation for
> certain code paths. So no, not necessary but it might be a nice-to-have.

Nice to have for what?  If the AML is correct (as all devices have), all
should be fine, right?

thanks,

greg k-h