Re: Patch "PCI: endpoint: Fix kernel panic after put_device()" has been added to the 4.16-stable tree

On Wed, 2 May 2018, Greg KH wrote:

> On Wed, May 02, 2018 at 01:18:07PM +0200, Rolf Evers-Fischer wrote:
> > On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 00:35 AM <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > This is a note to let you know that I've just added the patch titled
> >
> > >     PCI: endpoint: Fix kernel panic after put_device()
> >
> > > to the 4.16-stable tree which can be found at:
> >
> > > http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=summary
> >
> > > The filename of the patch is:
> > >      pci-endpoint-fix-kernel-panic-after-put_device.patch
> > > and it can be found in the queue-4.16 subdirectory.
> >
> > > If you, or anyone else, feels it should not be added to the stable tree,
> > > please let <stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> know about it.
> >
> > This patch is the 2nd one of a series of patches. If you want to add it
> > to the stable tree without the first patch, you must add a
> >
> > +		kfree(func_name);
> >
> > before returning from the function.
> >
> > The upstream commit of the first patch is
> > 36cc14ac14c0d49d33820a82dab52a7edc802fef PCI: endpoint: Simplify name
> > allocation for EPF device
>
> Thanks for letting me know, I'll just drop this patch as without the
> first one, this isn't needed and isn't an issue, right?
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

It is still an issue (even without the first one!), but it will only occur
on PCI endpoints when setting the devicename or adding the device fails.
Therefore I think you can drop this patch for the stable series.

Thank you,
 Rolf