Re: Linux 4.14.36

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 07:22:49PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:

> Given that this has not really been reported much, I'm tending to think
> that either the distros all have it correct, or that people have it
> correct in their configurations.
>
> I don't even use an initrd, and this all worked "just fine" for me,
> perhaps that is because I do not build ext4 as a module?

Yes, if you don't build ext4 as a module, then crc32c will be
built-into the kernel as well, and the problem won't occur.  What
worries me is that most people building custom kernels generally will
build in the modules that they need, since it is the optimal thing to
do.  It will be those who build ext4 and crc32c as a module, and use
an ext4 root file system, that will be hit by this.

> Anyway, let's see if we get any more reports before worrying too much.
> Thanks for the deep dive into Debian bug history :)

If we get reports, we should try to get what distro's they are
running, since it's probably going to be distro-dependent.  Hopefully,
I'm worrying over nothing.  :-)

					- Ted