Re: Fwd: [tip:x86/urgent] x86/platform/UV: Fix critical UV MMR address error

On 4/9/2018 1:03 PM, Greg KH wrote:
On Mon, Apr 09, 2018 at 10:57:56AM -0700, Mike Travis wrote:
This was sent to stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx almost 2 weeks ago and I haven't
heard anything back yet.  Is there any update on the status?  (sorry for the
bad formatting, this is the only way I can forward the email.  I can only
resend the original email before the commit email from Thomas.)

How did you send it?

Ugh, you bounced it?  No wonder I didn't do anything with it at all, it
looked exactly like a "this is being committed to the TIP tree" type
message.

How was I supposed to know what to do with it?

Please be more specific next time, read:
     https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/stable-kernel-rules.html
for how to do this properly.

A simple "please commit git id XXXXX to the X.X tree" is all that is
needed.

I'll definitely do this in the future.

For my info which "X.X" tree is significant? In this case I'm guessing that it would be the version where the breakage occurred? Or is it some other specific major or minor version change?

The end goal is for the distros to pull them in and they usually monitor certain stable trees for new commits for their own releases. But they generally don't share with us those details.

Wait, in looking closer at this: