Re: Patch "net: phy: fix resume handling" has been added to the 4.14-stable tree

> When a PHY has the BMCR_PDOWN bit set, it may decide to ignore writes
> to other registers, or reset the registers to power-on defaults.
> Micrel PHYs do this for their interrupt registers.
>
> The current structure of phylib tries to enable interrupts before
> resuming (and releasing) the BMCR_PDOWN bit.  This fails, causing
> Micrel PHYs to stop working after a suspend/resume sequence if they
> are using interrupts.
>
> Fix this by ensuring that the PHY driver resume methods do not take
> the phydev->lock mutex themselves, but the callers of phy_resume()
> take that lock.  This then allows us to move the call to phy_resume()
> before we enable interrupts in phy_start().

Hi Greg

This patch introduces some issues. You don't want this patch on its
own, you want it in combination with:

Fixes: 9c2c2e62df3f ("net: phy: Restore phy_resume() locking assumption")

Which went into David Millers net tree yesterday and should be making
its way towards stable.

I suggest you hold off on this patch, until you can do both at the
same time.

  Andrew