Re: Patch "ahci: Allow setting a default LPM policy for mobile chipsets" has been added to the 4.14-stable tree

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 05:45:33PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 14-02-18 16:48, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 04:03:17PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > > Hi All,

> > > I wonder how this ended up on the patches-for-stable list? Torvald's
> > > master commits have neither a Cc: stable or a Fixes tag.
> > >
> > > By itself this series is harmless, until someone actually sets
> > > the new Kconfig option to something other then 0.
> >
> > See my response to the 4.15.y patch for "how" this came to be merged.

> > > AFAIK 4.14 and older do not have med_power_with_dipm, so setting this
> > > to 3 will lead to a setting of min_power. Which leads me to my worry
> > > about this series, as said in itself it is harmless, but as the help
> > > text says setting it to 4 (*) is dangerous. Actually this week I've
> > > received my first bug report that even med_power_with_dipm is causing
> > > issues (disconnects) with some devices. I'm working with the reporter
> > > an a blacklist entry for the specific SSD in question, but given that
> > > we're still figuring this out for master I wonder how wise it is to
> > > add these to stable, esp. since stable lacks med_power_with_dipm.
> > >
> > > At a minimum we should fixup the help-text for 4.14 and older
> > > (4.15 does have med_power_with_dipm).
> >
> > What would the text be for 4.14.y and older?
>
> Drop the:
> 		3 => Medium power with Device Initiated PM enabled
>
> Line and:
> 		4 => Minimum power
> Becomes:
> 		3 => Minimum power
>
> Also "range 0 4" should become "range 0 3"
>
> > I'll be glad to fix that
> > up.  Or I can drop the whole thing and fit in the device id update "by
> > hand", if you think this shouldn't go to the stable trees.
>
> I would prefer for this to not go to the stable trees. The problem is
> that if people enable this and set it to "Minimum power" combined
> with say a Crucial_CT525MX300 SSD then this is know to cause data-
> corruption, which is not just a regression but one of the worst
> kind of regressions. Note people can already get the same result
> (shoot themselves in the foot) by using powertop --auto-tune,
> or TLP, or setting this manually through sysfs. I really wonder
> if the stable series is a good place to give people one more
> way to shoot themselves in the foot though and I'm worried that
> some distro kernel maintainer will see this new option in a stable
> update and sets it to Minimum power, which would be quite bad.
>
> As said before I've just received my first bug-report of this
> causing issues even with the more conservative "med_power_with_dipm"
> option, which is known to e.g. not cause issues on that same
> Crucial_CT525MX300 SSD. So I will likely be submitting some
> ATA_HORKAGE_NOLPM quirk patches to tj soon. TL;DR: I really
> believe this is too adventurous for the stable kernels.

Ok, I've now dropped this patch entirely from all of the stable trees,
sorry for the noise.  The fix-up to get the new device ids added was
really trivial, I should have just done that first :(

greg k-h