Re: Patch "bcache: only permit to recovery read error when cache device is clean" has been added to the 4.9-stable tree

On 04/12/17 10:27, Greg KH wrote:
On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 10:06:24AM +0100, Greg KH wrote:
On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 09:35:02AM -0800, Michael Lyle wrote:
On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 9:01 AM, Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11/27/2017 09:45 AM, Eddie Chapman wrote:
On 27/11/17 16:06, gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

This is a note to let you know that I've just added the patch titled

      bcache: only permit to recovery read error when cache device is
clean

Hi Greg,

This patch is an important fix for a possible data corruption issue, but
it also introduces a bug that can produce read errors under certain
circumstances. The issue introduced by this patch is not as severe as
the issue it fixes, but can lead to e.g. upper layer fs remounting read
only. In my environment upper layer handled it badly and indirectly
resulted in data loss (not directly bcache's fault of course).

Michael Lyle CC'd the stable list with a follow up fix for the issue
introduced by this patch, on 24th Nov, subject "bcache: recover data
from backing when data is clean".

However, the followup fix is not in Linus' tree yet, only in Michael's.
I guess that means you can't pick it up yet. Never-the-less I felt it
important to point this out here.

It's commit e393aa2446150536929140739f09c6ecbcbea7f0 in my tree and will
go upstream shortly - but yes, probably should not add this one, before
both can be pulled in.

Thanks everyone for the quick reply on this.  I agree.

Ok, I've dropped this patch from all of the stable queues for now.

Both now queued up, thanks.

greg k-h

Hi Greg,

I only see those two queued up for 4.14 and not any earlier kernels. You originally added the first patch to 3.18, 4.4 and 4.9. Are you still planning to add them both to those kernels?

thanks,
Eddie