Re: Patch for 4.4.y+ stable kernels: (tracing: Use strlcpy() instead of strcpy() in __trace_find_cmdline())

Hi Greg,

On 19 June 2017 at 19:30, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 04:36:18PM +0530, Sumit Semwal wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> For all stable kernels since 4.4.y, please review
>>
>> Upstream commit: e09e28671cda: tracing: Use strlcpy() instead of
>> strcpy() in __trace_find_cmdline()
>>
>> This fixes a potential hole due to use of strcpy in a tracing function.
>
> {sigh}
>
> No, it does not.  Please search the archives, we have been over this
> many times already.
Apologies, my bad - I should've seen Steven's response to the patch
(even though he's added it to mainline, he doesn't feel it is required
for stable) - I saw it got added to the mainline, and thought it was a
candidate.

> Also be sure to always cc: the developers and the maintainers of any
> patch you ask to be submitted to the stable tree, that way they can
> learn of the request, and possibly object to it, like Steven would have
> done here...

Right, I added the author, but managed to miss the maintainer ...

Thanks for pointing these out - two more things to add to my 'verify
the patch before sending to stable' list.