Re: Linux 4.9.6 ( Restore IO-APIC irq_chip retrigger callback , breaks my box )

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> The fact that the two-liner patch matters so much and so consistently
> (despite timing differences elsewhere) makes me think it realy is
> specifically about irq retriggering, not the random symptoms we see.

I agree,

> I'm wondering if we somehow end up trying to retrigger an NMI or other
> internal APIC thing (maybe that's where the machine check comes in?)
> that definitely shouldn't be retriggered.

We never retrigger any of the special vectors, just the device interrupts
can get that treatment and there only the few edge interrupts connected to
the IO-APIC are relevant.

Boris has access to a machine with a similar CPU. It shows the symptom of
boot hang, but only after Boris used Gabriels config file. The normal SuSe
config just boots fine. Again, nothing stands out there which immediately
rings a bell. :(

Thanks,

	Thomas