Re: Patch "hrtimer: Add support for CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW" has been added to the 4.4-stable tree

On Tue, 2016-09-27 at 21:55 +0200, Felix Fietkau wrote:

> > > Please drop that patch. It is utterly broken, and was reverted in
> > > mainline with commit 82e88ff1ea94 ("hrtimer: Revert
> > > CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW support").

Probably shouldn't be discussing it in this context, but ...

Why did this also revert the illegal clock ID catching? That seems
strange? Doesn't that mean that everything that specifies an otherwise
not supported value will get HRTIMER_BASE_MONOTONIC?

> > Ok, will do.
> >
> > Felix, this kind of means this isn't the fix you were looking for,
> > any
> > other ideas?
> I guess I can send a mac80211_hwpatch to switch to CLOCK_MONOTONIC
> instead and add Cc: stable.

I had actually selected _RAW for a reason, you don't want the frame
timings to be affected by clock adjustments?

Arguably, it's rare that the clock is actually adjusted, and even if
that does happen, chances are that nobody will actually care at that
point in time, but ...

What would it take to actually add real support?

johannes