Re: Patch "jbd2: make journal y2038 safe" has been added to the 4.7-stable tree

On Thursday 18 August 2016, gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> This is a note to let you know that I've just added the patch titled
>
>     jbd2: make journal y2038 safe
>
> to the 4.7-stable tree which can be found at:
>     http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=summary
>
> The filename of the patch is:
>      jbd2-make-journal-y2038-safe.patch
> and it can be found in the queue-4.7 subdirectory.
>
> If you, or anyone else, feels it should not be added to the stable tree,
> please let <stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> know about it.

In general, I think adding this sort of patch to stable kernels is pointless,
since we still have several hundred other issues that prevent us from running
32-bit kernels after 2038.

We have to work our way through all of them, but until we have a stable kernel
that at least has a syscall ABI for 64-bit time_t, I wouldn't bother with
backporting any of it.

That said, there is nothing wrong with the patch, and you don't need to back
it out if that causes extra work, the only downside is extra work for people
that go through the stable patches individually to decide whether to apply
them to some other tree.

	Arnd