Re: Patch "xen/smp: Fixup NOHZ per cpu data when onlining an offline CPU." has been added to the 3.9-stable tree

On Tue, 2013-06-11 at 12:35 -0700, gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> This is a note to let you know that I've just added the patch titled
>
>     xen/smp: Fixup NOHZ per cpu data when onlining an offline CPU.
>
> to the 3.9-stable tree which can be found at:
>     http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=summary
>
> The filename of the patch is:
>      xen-smp-fixup-nohz-per-cpu-data-when-onlining-an-offline-cpu.patch
> and it can be found in the queue-3.9 subdirectory.
>
> If you, or anyone else, feels it should not be added to the stable tree,
> please let <stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> know about it.
[...]
> That was OK (albeit the API for play_dead assumes that the CPU
> stays dead and never returns) but with commit 4b0c0f294
> (tick: Cleanup NOHZ per cpu data on cpu down) that is no longer safe
> as said commit resets the ts->inidle which at the start of the
> cpu_idle loop was set.
[...]

This also needs to be applied to earlier branches, because commit
4b0c0f294 was applied to all of them:

2.6.32: d31e3b9 tick: Cleanup NOHZ per cpu data on cpu down
3.0: b9cbfd2 tick: Cleanup NOHZ per cpu data on cpu down
3.2: d9202d6 tick: Cleanup NOHZ per cpu data on cpu down
3.4: 33b7cfc tick: Cleanup NOHZ per cpu data on cpu down
3.9: c25c0eb tick: Cleanup NOHZ per cpu data on cpu down

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If the facts do not conform to your theory, they must be disposed of.