Re: [patch 010/286] kmsg: honor dmesg_restrict sysctl on /dev/kmsg

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 at 08:15, Kees Cook wrote:
> > Do we have a way forward?  I like Linus's idea of nuking the
> > dmesg_restrict feature ;)
>
> Please no; this is a feature people depend on.
>
> Security checks need to be done at open time. The /dev/kmsg
> misbehavior associated with this patch was related to the interaction
> with CAP_SYSLOG, not dmesg_restrict. (The new dmesg fell back to
> syscalls when it couldn't open /dev/kmsg.)

+1 for some kind of dmesg_restrict feature. Without removing
read-permission from /dev/kmsg during boot, users can still read from it.
While this may be useful for a lot of cases (bug reports), dmesg can
indeed contain sensitive information.

At the moment, CONFIG_SECURITY_DMESG_RESTRICT can be set - but it's only
covering /proc/kmsg and syslog(), right?

Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #260:

We're upgrading /dev/null