Re: Stable backports for qla2xxx target mode

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 02:00:45PM -0700, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> Hi Greg-KH,
>
> This is a follow up on a handful of 'WTF' emails for some of the recent
> qla2xxx target patches from v4.2-rc5 CC'ed for v3.18.y stable.
>
>   a6ca8878 qla2xxx: delay plogi/prli ack until existing sessions are deleted
>   daddf5cf qla2xxx: Abort stale cmds on qla_tgt_wq when plogi arrive
>   df673274 qla2xxx: added sess generations to detect RSCN update races
>   d20ed91b qla2xxx: disable scsi_transport_fc registration in target mode
>   7359df25 qla2xxx: terminate exchange when command is aborted by LIO
>   8b2f5ff3 qla2xxx: cleanup cmd in qla workqueue before processing TMR
>   e52a8b45 qla2xxx: drop cmds/tmrs arrived while session is being deleted
>
> These are all bug-fix patches that address real-world correctness issues
> reported by a large customer of the qla2xxx target code, and have been
> reviewed + tested + signed-off-by the HW LLD maintainer.

And they are all fricking huge rewrites and additions to the driver,
none of which actually look like they should be added to a stable tree
at all.

> Granted these patches are larger in size that I'd normally be
> comfortable with CC'ing for stable, but they do address real-world
> correctness issues seen in large scale production with qla2xxx target
> code.
>
> Please consider adding these to your stable queue, to go along with the
> qla2xxx target patches from the same series that have already made it
> into v4.1.5.

What exactly are they fixing?  They look like they add a ton of new
functions to the driver, and other features.  What is so broken in the
driver today that warrants this type of exception to the rules?

thanks,

greg k-h