Re: Linux stable inclusion question

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 10:10:51AM +0800, zhangwei(Jovi) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing this mail to ask one question about Linux stable inclusion,
> I would appreciate if you can give me some hints.
>
> As our known:
> Grey KH is maintainer of 3.4 stable tree,

And 3.0, and 3.8 :)

> Paul is maintainer of 2.6.34 stable tree,
> Willy is maintainer of 2.6.27 stable tree.
>
> Is there have any possibility some stable patches merged into 3.4 stable tree,
> but _missed_ in 2.6.34 and 2.6.27 stable tree? since each stable tree is maintained
> by different person.
> (the stable patches here I mean could applied to each stable tree correctly)

Sure, we might miss patches, that's just the nature of the business.  If
you notice any that are missed, please let us know.

> The reason of why I want to confirm this is the company may have many different
> kernel version running in different products, each product want its to be
> stable enough, so they will follow community stable released by own kernel version
> maintainer(example stable 2.6.34 released by Pual), but they have concern if this will
> miss some stable patches from other stable version(example stable 3.4 released by Grey),
> which released by another stable maintainer.
>
> This question might to be common in big company which have many
> different kernel version running.

Big companies either should be having their own developers who can
watch out for stuff like this and maintain it on their own, or they
should be paying for this type of thing from the companies that do
provide this service (Red Hat, SuSE, etc.)

Hope this helps,

greg k-h