Re: Chroot: sshd bug ? user redirects to root folder.

There is no possibility to implement this mechanism ?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Nasarov" <nasarov@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Riccardo Castellani" <ric.castellani@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: <secureshell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2011 6:45 PM
Subject: Re: Chroot: sshd bug ? user redirects to root folder.

On Feb 27, 2011, at 5:21 PM, Riccardo Castellani wrote:

I installed openssh-5.6p1 into my Fedora server and I run this service into chroot mode. I think to have found out a BUG into this package, specifically into sshd service:

if remote user tries to connect to this service, where its home directory is unaccessible because it doesn't respect right permissions (execution permission of owner is missed or home directory is missing), he comes automatically into root folder of chroot.

It's not a bug, it's a feature ;) (c)

I think sshd should have to deny this login or at least sshd_config should have to contain the option to set this specifc behaviour; for example into Fedora distributions, there is "DEFAULT_HOME" option in /etc/login.defs file to permit this behavior.

No.

Yes it's true, I can restrict access to specific users or use PAM module, but for security reasons I need to make sure myself to restrict access ONLY to home folder of user. I also could use PAM modules, but it's only available pam_mkhomedir.so which creates home folder if this one is not existing; I need pam_homecheck.so but it's available only as package for OpenSuse.
Suggestions ?