Re: Dynamically allocated port on reverse forward

On Tuesday 17 August 2010 21:49:52 Males, Jess wrote:
> [...]

Of cause I could use a constant port number. But some of the remote servers
are public servers and sometimes I ran into port collisions with other people
using the server. That's why a dynamically allocated port would be preferable.

It would be nice if ssh would export the allocated port the environment, a
query program maybe or something like that. Any way to query the allocated
port.

> FAILED IDEA:  A nifty trick for local forwards to different machines is to
> bind them to alternate local interfaces. Example:
> /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.2	local2
> 127.0.0.3	local3
>
> ssh user@remote -L local2:22:host2:22 -L local3:22:host3:22
> ssh user@local2 # goes to host2 tunneled via initial ssh connection
> ssh user@local3 # goes to host3 tunneled via initial ssh connection
>
> Alas, when I tested remote forwards to alternate interfaces on the remote
> machine, the resolution failed.
>
> ssh user@remote -R 0:local2:22 -R 0:local3:22
> netstat -tl
> Active Internet connections (only servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
> tcp        0      0 localhost:55313         *:*                     LISTEN
> tcp        0      0 localhost:42267         *:*                     LISTEN
>
> The hope was that you'd be able to see:
> netstat -tl
> Active Internet connections (only servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
> tcp        0      0 local3:55313         *:*                     LISTEN
> tcp        0      0 local2:42267         *:*                     LISTEN
>
> You could, of course, just alias 10.0.0.0/8 ip addresses to a local
> interface, but that's probably a bit much work.
>
> As a side note, it seems a major disappointment that there's no escape
> sequence to list these.  On my Ubuntu 10.4 test machines ~# failed to list
> remote forwards.
>
> Also, if you dynamically forward multiple ports, how do you tell which
> dynamically assigned remote port maps to each local port?

Maybe ssh could export an environment variable like:
    SSH_FORWARDED_PORTS="bind_address:port:host:hostport;bind_address:..."