Re: Long Running SSH Tunnel, Slowing Down

Tim,

I'm not an expert on ssh. IMHO this kind of behaviour is typical of a
memory leak or the application running out of resources in some way.
So this may be a track worth pursuing before having to delve in to the
more complex world of decoding packets. As you can establish a second
tunnel alongside the slow tunnel and this works it is not an OS
resource issue. It may be that instance of the ssh application (either
your client or the instance of the daemon to which you connect) has
run out of resources.

My first reaction would be to update the software at each end to the
latest revision. Second have a look for this specific issue with the
software being used. It may be a known issue and that a specific
parameter setting may resolve this.

If this makes no difference then try the more difficult decoding
route. I suspect that the software has its own commands/tools to help
with this. For example, Cisco has "debug" commands to help with
troubleshooting, such as debug ip ssh
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk617/technologies_tech_note09186a00800949e2.shtml#debugandshowcommands).
You may spot increasing number of errors as the link is used, or at
least be able to work out which packets belong to which type of ssh
traffic.