SSH connection glitch.

Setup:
Debian 5.0.4 setup in VMWare
OpenSSL 0.9.8m compiled from source
OpenSSH 5.4p1 compiled from source

Problem:
I CAN connect (in my lab) to the VM through puTTY.
I CAN connect (in my lab) to the VM from another VM. (A cloned copy of
the first one.)
I CAN connect to the VM from another VM with the bandwidth
artificially turned town to 765 kilobits (yes, bits) per sec and
1000ms latency.

I sent a copy of the VM to a US military unit in another country to
test it out.....and I can NOT connect...kinda.

It connects. It runs through the WHOLE handshake and then stalls at
this debug message:

SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT

....it then hangs.

The sysadmin at the other end can connect to the VM with puTTY. We
just can't connect from here to there.

Any idea? I already turned off UseDNS in sshd_config.

Wireshark shows no continuing traffic.

Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot this further?

Thanks in advance.

~Warren