RE: Question about SCP stalling over VPN

Matt,

To do full diagnosis, do captures at both ends:
tcpdump -w client.pcap -s0 host <IP> and port 22
## so that we don't capture unnecessary stuff, if you are at the client, the <IP> should be the server side

At server side,
tcpdump -w server.pcap -s0 host <IP> and port 22
## so that we don't capture unnecessary stuff, if you are at the server, the <IP> should be the client side

Upload the {client,server}.pcap somewhere and provide the links, that way someone might be able to take a look at it.

This is one thing you can give it a try easily:

Certain network devices I have seen have bugs dealing with TCP SACK.
CentOS 5.3 comes enabled with TCP SACK.
As root, try issuing "sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_sack=0", then scp to check if turning SACK off resolve your issues.

Robin